Skip to main navigation
Skip to main content
Fire or visible smoke
- Activate the fire alarm pull station or use other emergency alerting procedures and proceed to the nearest exit and evacuate the building immediately.
- Call Georgia Tech Police at 9-1-1 from any campus phone or at 404-894-2500 from a cellular phone.
- Attempt to extinguish the fire if you are trained and comfortable with using a fire extinguisher
- Do NOT attempt to extinguish a fire if any of the following conditions exist:
- You are not trained in using a fire extinguisher
- You are unable to identify what is burning
- The fire is spreading
- A fire extinguisher is unavailable
- Your back is not toward the exit
- You might inhale smoke
- Doubt or insecurities develop
- If the first attempt to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher is unsuccessful, evacuate immediately through the nearest exit.
- Call GTPD from a safe location to report all fires.
- Report to the designated evacuation assembly area for the building and do not leave.
- Do not use the elevator.
- Stay calm, do not rush or panic.
- Use the nearest stairs and proceed to the nearest exit.
- Proceed to your designated assembly area and report to your roll taker.
- Wait for any instructions from emergency responders.
- Do not re-enter the building until you have been instructed to do so by emergency responders.
- Those with access and functional needs, notify supervisors/co-workers if you need assistance evacuating.
- If applicable, proceed to your area of refuge.